Monday 28 March 2011

France

France was instantly completely different. Went into Calais, which has a lovely town center. Stocked up on French cakes and meat then cycled 50 miles until dusk. Not a great campsite, just off a big road, hidden from view by a steep verge.

The days in France seem to have merged into one. The scenery through the Northwest didn't change much. Long hard slogs through vast areas of farmland, broken up by quaint but often derelict villages. Each night I've camped in woods off the side of roads. My cooking has been more adventurous than in England, including sausage ratatouille and cassoulet.
The highlight of this area of France has definately been the larger towns and cities. Although near impossible to navigate, the town centers are always beautiful and often accompanied by massive cathedrals. The cathedral in Laon was amazing.

A couple of days ago was the highlight for scenery. I spent the day cycling through rolling hills forests and farmland, all above 1000 feet. It felt a million miles away from the large towns. I went past a huge crater like valley called the cul de clef need to find out how it was formed.
Was nice to meet up with my Dad a couple of times, first on his way to Geneva, then yesterday for an afternoon riding and an all you can eat buffet in Lure, which I made the most of!

I've enjoyed France a lot. I don't think my route has taken me through the most beautiful region but there have been some fantastic highlights. That's the great thing about cycle touring though - you end up in some places that you would never visit otherwise.
Bike is performing brilliantly and I'm happy with how I'm coping. It's been far from easy so far but i'm managing the daily physical challenge and I'm sure as I adapt to riding long distances every day it will get easier.
Right I have to check out of my hotel in Lure (first one of the trip) in 45 mins so going to have a shower and head for Switzerland. Might get there today or definately tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment