Monday 28 March 2011

The end of England

The rest of England was chilled out. Started with a 40 mile morning ride from Letchworth to London, where I went to my aunt and uncle's for lunch. Left the bike there and went into town to watch England lose the grand slam, terrible performance but well done Ireland. Met up with a few mates and went for a night out.
Next day had a massive Sunday Roast at friends of aunt and uncle which was amazing after eating out of saucepans for a week!

Monday morning set off towards Dover. Kent is a really nice area of England. Love the old buildings with steep roofs. Camped in a thick forest near Canterbury. Early start the next day got me to the ferry in good time. Went through all the car check in booths. Had to go to security. My heart sank when I saw the scanning machine. I thought I'd have to unload my panniers and put them through. The guy just put my camelbak through (water carrying backpack) and asked me to empty my pockets. "do you have any knives" - no "do you have any explosives" - no. I rode off thinking "good security" remembering my swiss army knife and petrol container on the bike!
Waited in car lane 122 and was eventually called onto the ferry. Rode up the very steep ramp onto the ferry and locked up the bike, which I've christened Sandy by the way (it's made by Sanderson). Went upstairs and waved goodbye to the white cliffs. Won't be seeing England again for a long time. Was an emotional moment but really exciting. This is where the ride really starts!

No comments:

Post a Comment